Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tapas- No Mas, Por Favor

No more tapas for me. Not knowing the language has continued to be problematic at the dinner hour. Cate and I, being the well organized and wise individuals that we are, decided to go to Toledo for a couple of days because the hostals were cheaper and and had a few extra days off. In a poorly planned strategy to avoid the tedious process of apartment searching, we chose a hostel-inferno on the third floor in Toledo during the hottest part of the summer. Sleeping was impossible. Perhaps it would have been better if we could have found some tasty items to consume. But, being bold, I declared I would be adventurous and point and shoot at the menu. A fun way to experience culture? Only if you aren´t hungry. My dish was squishy, garlicky and of a badly pungent flavor. Cate´s meat had a decent lettuce leaf, but we aren´t sure the swine was ever cooked. I was convinced that I had ordered a lamb utter or something similar, but fortunately, I found out today, it was only mollejas-pig brain. I just hope it doesn´t affect my own. Unfortunately we did not see many of the religious sights associated with Toledo, but it is a short trip away, so we plan to return when it is cooler and we can bear to walk around.

As for now, I am enrolled in Spanish class and enjoying it very much. Friday we have class in the mountains at a cafe- quite a treat. I plan to sign a housing contract tomorrow or the next day, and right now am enjoying my last days of watching Spanish dubbed soap operas on the television at the hostal.

I enjoy all of your commentaries; I´m always happy to provide a new forum for my siblings to verbally destroy one another with their witty derisions...also glad to see that Joel´s Spanish has already far exceeded my own...in a manner of speaking...

Besos de Madrid!

2 comments:

Bezzy Bruce said...

Hey, Biz:

All of us at LEP, P.C. love your blogs! Pig's brain sounds yummy! What an adventure you're on!!

Missing you badly--Bev

Unknown said...

Im curious what is the complimentary drink for pig brain?It is kind of tricky since pork is the other white meat but not the meaty portion. Do you drink a White wine? Red wine? Bleach? Drain Opener?
i like the verbage of your posting. Using phrases like "Point and shoot dining" and "pungent" are very Biz-esque. well done and better luck next time at dinner
David