Tuesday, September 4, 2007

La Tomatina and the Grand Tour

Much has happened since I last wrote, so I won't bother to use flowery language for this entry.

La Tomatina was more and less than I expected. Thousands of people, crammed like slimy worms in a bottle of diced tomatoes into a tiny alley in an obscure town in Spain. Perfecto. The tomatoes, sangria, flying flip-flops and body fumes circulating from one sweaty body to the next was, of course, quite exciting. The most memorable part was the resulting fear from the trucks driving down the street, when I wondered if I would perish by truck wheel or being crushed by a neighboring tomato festival participant. But my new found friend Ginny, all the way from "just north of Birmingham," and I survived to tell the story.

This past weekend a friend from Holland came to visit, and I finally conquered all of Madrid. Tapas, Flamenco, Spanish art, calamare bocadillos...we saw and ate it all. The good news is that I will now make an excellent tour guide. The bad news is that eventually I may find these things all a bit boring.

This week I taught my first practice class in English, and it went well, I think. I will have a video tape soon and can see how bad it actually was. Classes are interesting, and its nice to meet 25 new people and to be learning how to teach finally. This week my roomates also returned, so I am not living by myself any more. They are good people and are very patient with my horrible espanol.

That's all for now.

Luego.

4 comments:

Mia said...

hi neighbour!! Love your blogg!! It's so much fun to read about your adventures!! it goes so well with my morning coffee - (just don't tell anyone I'm surfing for fun while i'm at work...;)) I'm sure you're doing great with your teaching - even tho it's a scary thing to see yourself on screen "in action" ;) but sooo useful! Ofcourse they are patient with your spanish -you guys have always been patient with my english, so it's just karma...:) kram =)

B. Bruce said...

Biz: I enjoy your blogs ever so much! I was curled up on the couch reading all your blogs for a second time and was amazed by how entertaining your use of the english language is! You must write a book someday--it will be a best seller!!

Z said...

i miss you so much! i wish i was there getting crushed in a spanish alley with you! Anna says hi, and we send you much love and paperwork. :-)

Ginny Humber said...

LOL, I am glad I found your blog, especially since I can relate to most of it. VIEJAS! That is hilarious. You're a really witty writer. We should collaborate and publish a log of our "English teacher in Spain" adventures. See you tonight at the potluck!